It is important that you read these instructions in full before unrolling and installing the product
Please be careful when handling the product. We recommend the use of gloves and protective goggles.
- For an established lawn, first cut the grass and cut your border shape, try to keep the cuts at right angles to your lawn, digging down to the depth of Smartedge® i.e. 14cm. To avoid cutting your lawn back too far any gaps/holes on the lawn edge side of Smartedge® can be filled with a mix of peat/sand and grass seed.
- If your ground is dry or compacted we recommend watering before laying to make the insertion of pins easier. PREPARATION IS ALL IMPORTANT TO MAKE THE LAYING OF SMARTEDGE® AS EASY AS POSSIBLE.
- Unroll your Smartedge®. The A-frames are folded against the inside edge. Ease the A-frames away from the inside edge to approximately 45o. DO NOT OVER-BEND AS THIS WILL STOP THE A-FRAMES FROM GRIPPING THE GRASS.
- Locate Smartedge® along the lawn edge, making sure the A-frames are biting onto your lawn.
- To cut Smartedge® use garden shears or scribe with a sharp knife and then sharply bend away from the cut. To avoid immovable obstacles trim as necessary.
- Backfill and firm with your foot as you feed along the edge. To join lengths simply overlap and pin.
- Insert the pins provided through the holes at the end of the A-frames where necessary to secure. The number of pins needed and where to place them will depend on the shape of your border and the surface of your lawn. In normal conditions it should only be necessary to pin every third or fourth A-frame. (Extra pins are available to purchase in packs of 150).
- For newly sown and turfed lawns we recommend using temporary wood pegs to anchor and hold Smartedge® in place until the grass establishes.
- If necessary tap along the top of Smartedge® with a mallet or length of wood to help imbed the A-frames into your lawn.
- Before mowing allow grass to grow through the A-frames. Check that none of the A-frames have been pushed up by broadleaf grass or similar. If so simply pin down.
Buy Smartedge® here
Non-Mainland UK, Channel Islands, EU, EEC: We cannot Smartedge send outside mainland UK at this time